Polyushko Polye: A Song With a History

I promised you all I would let you hear the real Russian song, Polyushko Polye, so here it is! in Crylic it's Полюшкo Поле. Earlier I got a request from one of the readers for the sheet music because she couldn't find it online, so it you would like to find the sheet music you have to write in Russian полюшко поле ноты для пианино, which literally translates as "Field my field (or meadowland) notes to piano". You won't find the sheet music in English, but the notes are the same no matter what language you speak. ;D 

I'd like it to be noted that this song has been around for a long time now (1933) and since then it has gone through several spelling and name changes changes. So here are the lists of known names for this song.



Polyushko Polye

Poliushko Polie

Polyushka Pole

Polyushka Polye

The Cossack Patrol

Meadowland

Calvary of the Steppes

Gone with the Wind

So Wide the Field


Yeah, this song has been changed a ton over the years. It's kinda fun to hear the different versions. My favorite version is done by Origa. It is sooo good. There are a couple different versions where there are only two stanzas, but the Origa version has five stanzas. There's another version of the song that has it in Russian and in English done by Helmut Lotti. That one is good, too. In short, Polyushko Polye is one of those songs that, even though it started out as a Soviet song, has been transformed all over the world into several things. I think personally that it is a good description of what the Bolsheviks thought they were doing in 1917- they truly believed that overthrowing Tsarist Russia and replacing it with Communism would fix the problems. The Origa version makes me think in my mind of a country that believed what they were doing was right only to find they enslaved themselves even more, until the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. Hope you enjoy.



English Lyrics:
Field, my field, my wide field,
The heroes ride over the field,
Hey, the heroes of the Red Army (later translated to Russian army)

The girls are crying,
The girls are sorrowful today,
Their sweethearts went away for a long time,
Hey, their sweethearts went away to the army.

You girls, cast a glance,
cast a glance in our direction,
Wave far down the road,
Ey, the happy road.

We only see
We see a grey mist,
The hate of the enemy behind the forest,
Hey, the enemy's hate, like a mist.

Hey, girls, look,
We are ready to engage the enemy,
Our horses are fleet-footed,
Our tanks are fast-driving.

Hey, while on the collective farms, (later changed to farms I believe)
The work is efficiently progressing,
Today we are watchmen,
Today we are keeping watch.


The English translation of the song really doesn't do it justice. The original is so beautiful. So you'll just have to listen to it. ;) Hope you enjoy!

Comments

  1. I think I like it better in Russian... :) Some things you just can't translate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It gives the basic jest of the song but not what the song actually means. It's so pretty... Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11/04/2015

    Wow, that really IS beautiful! I like the Russian better than the English. It sounds more poetical. I also love how the Russian language sounds like it has a lisp. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, well, Origa kinda sounds that way, the guys who sing this song have a definite manly voice when they do it. ;) Theirs is kinda scary though, so I didn't post that one. ;) I'm glad you enjoyed! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Oooo, the lyrics are pretty. :) I can't listen to it right now, (mainly because I'd wake everyone up...) but I will sometime. :)
    Thanks for posting, Emily!!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait until you listen to it, I think you'll REALLY like the song in Russian. It's sooo much prettier in Russian. :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. MyJobsi.com is a popular and simple job board in the USA.
    MyJobsi.com aims to concentrate job postings of quality employers, institutions and corporations across the U.S. The job postings can be filtered by state, location, job categories or job title.
    Visit for more info: job posting site

    ReplyDelete
  5. i first heard it played on a wind up gramaphone, in1957, --my father was a member of the old guard -he fought on the russian front-1939--45, all the main battles, --he had the song on an old 78 speed record.-- it put shivers thru me then, it evokes emotional reactions now i cant control. its of the people & for the people--no matter who or what country,--never mind the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciate your support on this.
    Look forward to hearing from you soon.
    I’m happy to answer your questions, if you have any.


    เล่นบาคาร่า

    เล่นบาคาร่า

    เล่นบาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog, and I hope you enjoyed this post! If you have any comments or thoughts you'd like to share I'd love to hear from you! But do be thoughtful of others and please, no swearing or badmouthing, or I'll have to delete the comment. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

It's About Time...For an Update!

Devoted